Criteria for the O.H.H.A. Professional Healthcare Housekeepers’ Inc. Certificate Program (PHH)
Each applicant must be a Member in good standing with the Ontario Healthcare Housekeepers’ Association Inc.
Each applicant must reach a credit level of 120
The credits assessed must be attained as per the following schedule:
Section A: Total of 100 credits
Section B: Total of 20 credits
Section A 100 Credits
Successful completion of the Professional Healthcare Housekeepers’ Certificate Program (PHH), consists of the following two components:
1. O.H.H.A. Required Courses 30 Credits minimum
– Housekeeping Methodology 10 credits
– Infection Control 10 credits
– Laundry & Linen Technology 10 credits
2. O.H.A. Credit Courses 40 Credits minimum
One course required from the list below
– Environmental Services Level 1 20 credits
– Environmental Services Level 11 20 credits
– September 2014- Level 1 and 11 will be replaced with an EVS Leadership Program 40 credits
3. Additional courses from the list below
– Human Resources 10 credits
– Financial Management & Budgeting 10 credits
– Health Law 10 credits
– Adult Education 10 credits
– Occupational Health & Safety 10 credits
– Workplace Ergonomics 10 credits
– Effective Leadership 10 credits
a) Preceptors of the above courses
b) Authors of the above courses
c) Exceptional courses may be used in lieu of the above courses after review and approved by the OHHA Educational Committee.
Section B Employment Requirements 20 Credits
1. Healthcare Facility Employment (must have work place experience under Sub-section 1. a)
i) Department Head – Housekeeping 2 years 20 credits
ii) Assistant Department Head – Housekeeping 3 years 20 credits
iii) Supervisor – Housekeeping 3 + years 20 credits
b) Non-Housekeeping in a Health Care Setting
i) Department Head Laundry/Maintenance/Dietary 3 years 15 credits
ii) Assistant Department Head Laundry/Maintenance/Dietary 3 years+ 12 credits
iii) Supervisor Laundry/Maintenance/Dietary 5 years+ 10 credits
iv) Supervisor in a Health Care Setting 2 credits per year maximum 10 credits
2. Non-Healthcare Facilities Employment
a) Housekeeping/Environmental/Laundry/Maintenance/Dietary Department Head 3 + years 15 credits
b) Housekeeping/Environmental/Laundry/Maintenance/Dietary Assistant Department Head 3 + years 10 credits
Section C Conditions
1. Each applicant must include photocopies of certificates and credit courses.
2. Each applicant must include a signed letter to verify the employment requirements as per Section B.
3. All applications will be addressed to: Wendy Boone-Watt
Executive Director, O.H.H.A.
2053 County Rd 22
Bath, ON. K0H 1G0
Ph. 613-352-5696 Fax. 613-352-5840
4. The OHHA Education Committee will evaluate all applicants.
Please note there is a $100 process fee for the initial certification and a $25 annual renewal fee. See the criteria below for renewal.
Criteria for Renewal of the PHH Certification
Proof of continuing education in the healthcare housekeeping field. Include photocopy of certificate of successful completion.
Proof of attendance of educational conference and/or seminars geared toward the advancement of professional development in healthcare housekeeping.