Serving healthcare workers since 1957
New Career Opportunities
Divisional Facility Service Specialist
Health Services-Long Term care
Reporting to the Supervisor, Practice, Innovation and Education (PIE), the LTC Facility Specialist is the divisional lead for facility services program with a mandate to improve processes and build consistencies across the five long term care centres. The Facility Specialist is responsible for facilitating the maturation of the facility program, specifically focused on supporting regular operations and divisional service enhancement projects. In addition, the incumbent coordinates and facilitates Facility Services Supervisor peer group.
- Provide professional expertise, guidance and recommendations in the area of facility services – including housekeeping, laundry, security, capital projects, major equipment preventative maintenance, and building maintenance, including minor capital.
- Act as a resource and best practice lead for LTC facility related issues and advancements
- Identify for approval, create, maintain, and provide oversight to facility initiatives that promote consistency in facility practices and service enhancement project processes, and ensure safety and security of residents and staff
- Monitor, analyze, interpret, and provide oversight to implementation of Legislative changes, including MOL, MOHLTC/Compliance, PIDAC, Fire Code Regulations/ Fire Protection and Prevention Act, Building and Bylaw code, OHSA, Health Care and Residential Facility Regulations, Industrial Establishments Regulations and LTC related initiatives. Work with Facilities Services Supervisors to develop and implement any required recommendations
- Lead for the Safety and Security program for the Division
- Guide the development and management of Facility Services policies, related accommodation programs, and Environmental Services Infection Control program and Facility Services Inventory Control/Asset Management. In consultation with Facility Supervisor peer group, ensure policies and programs are reviewed and updated to ensure compliance with all legislative requirements and consistent with best practices
- Conduct visits, audits and/or investigations to evaluate Facility department effectiveness and compliance with standards, including MOL, MOHLTC Homes Act and regulations, Health & Safety, Infection Control, and LTC divisional policies and procedures; report results; develop potential solutions and recommendations for corrective action and; work with the home on action plans to address concerns
- Provide expertise in the management and testing of the home specific and divisional Emergency Plans in areas specific to Facility services. Work in collaboration with the Facility Services supervisors, and in consultation(HEM) to facilitate:
- Compliance in Fire Protection and Prevention Act
- Testing and education for all emergency codes
- Planning, rolling out, and debrief reporting for emergency evacuation exercise
- Facilitate divisional service enhancement projects across the division, ensuring consistency in practice, prioritizing resource allocation based on project priority and budget allocations, and mitigating risk
- Facilitate development and management of divisional operational budget related to the facility program and assist with the development and monitoring of Capital Plan- state of good repair budget requirements for all homes
- Projects are completed in collaboration with Facility Supervisors as project owners, Health Facility Planning as project planner/manager, Real Property Asset Management (RPAM) as project construction manager
- Liaison between purchasing and operations to build and maintain approved supplier list, ensure contract scopes are being adhered to as per operational requirements and vendor performance meets or exceeds Regional requirements, and engage in conflict resolution
- Investigate new Divisional contracts that support consistency of goods and services across the division and seek to leverage purchasing power. In addition, ensure invoice accuracy for services rendered
- Advise on and monitor preventative maintenance program requirements and their management at the home level, particularly focusing on key preventative maintenance contracts including Generators, Elevators and HVAC system
- Facilitate development and implementation of divisional education program in infection control environmental services, according to PIDAC and specific to Facility services. Liaison between Facility services and Program Support Nurse, improving collaboration and communication around infection control practices throughout the division
- Business process expert for Facility related software systems
- Act as a database management and technical super user and resource. provide ongoing end-user support and training;
- Respond to LTC related software application issues and performance gaps;
- Optimize software functionality and usability;
- Participate in functional development for Corporate Asset Management;
- Research, evaluate and recommend improvements and advancements to system software;
- Maintain database content so that it is relevant and updated, audit usage as required
- Facilitate division’s Facility Services Peer Group
- Provide expert guidance and advice on the development and implementation of peer group meeting requirements, annual work plans, and annual budget planning so to improving groups’ effectiveness in their deliverables
- Apply expertise and direction to ensure outcomes are aligned with standards and Long Term Care strategic priorities
- Fulfill additional work related duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field
- Minimum five years in leadership role
- Minimum two years’ experience in Long Term Care with knowledge of the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care standards, guidelines and requirements for the long term care industry as it speaks to environmental services and building management
- Health and Safety certification (levels 1 and 2) and WHIMS training required
- Building and facility services experience in a health care setting, an asset
- Understanding of HVAC equipment, computerized building management systems, electrical systems distribution, fire alarm and sprinkler systems including operation of and testing requirements, emergency diesel generator operations etc. preferred
- Working knowledge of current Building codes, By-Laws, OHSA, PIDAC, Fire Code Regulations
- Highly computer literate, including solid working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Project and Power point
- Working knowledge of the Project Management Body of Knowledge and project management processes. Planning, organizational and workload management skills an asset
- Ability to function effectively within a complex and dynamic work environment, with strong commitment to promoting teamwork and cohesiveness across the division
- Leadership skills, including demonstrated ability and comfort with decision making responsibilities, coaching and teaching, and the ability to inspire and build confidence in others
- Client service oriented, with ability to effectively work with staff at all levels of the corporation
- Effective communication with strong organizational skills, influential skills, and client focused orientation and commitment to providing quality services
If this opportunity matches your qualifications and experience, please apply online.
Please note: Successful candidates hired to work within any of The Region of Peel’s Long Term Care Homes are required to provide the following information prior to hire:
- Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- TB Skin Testing
Posting #: 2018-832712
Status: Permanent Full time
Hours: Mon – Sun — Various rotating shifts — 7.5 (7am-3pm; 12pm-8pm) (Hours are subject to change based on operational requirements)
Department: Environmental Services
Site: Milton & Georgetown
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions.
This is what you’ll be doing:
Reporting to the Manager of Environmental Services, you will co-ordinate and support all relevant activities of Environmental Services. You will work closely with the management team in overseeing the day-to-day operations in a unionized (CUPE) environment.
Responsible for the operational and labour management of staff, providing employee technical and non-technical training, coaching and development, recruitment, orientation, performance and attendance management, discipline, quality audits, job shadowing and workload assessment preparation of the staff shift schedule, staff replacements and payroll
work closely with the nursing units, clinical areas and other non-clinical areas/departments
participate in patient safety activities, infection control, risk management and quality improvement to meet hospital and healthcare standards actively participate in the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee at the Oakville site in addition to other committees as needed
This is what you’ll need to do it:
Post-secondary diploma, degree or related experience required
OHHA Professional Healthcare Housekeeper’s Certificate (PHH) preferred
Successful completion of the OHA/OHHA EVS Leadership Program, formerly known as EVS
Level 1 and 2
Minimum of 5 years’ supervisory experience within a unionized environment required
Membership or qualification to become a member of the OHHA
Proven healthcare Environmental Services experience and working knowledge of all healthcare housekeeping and related regulated infection control practices and processes and knowledge of PIDAC, RICN etc.
Proven ability to manage supply/labour budgets to include labour relations and compliance within the local and central collective agreements of unionized staff. Monitoring performance and hospital policies within a healthcare environment.
Knowledge and experience with various regulatory guidelines i.e. WHMIS, Ministry Waste Guidelines, OH&S Act required
Demonstrated ability to manage operations and staff, establishing and maintaining quality standards, infection control practices, outbreak prevention, linen utilization and the various streams of general, recycling, biomedical, hazardous and confidential waste handling etc.
Demonstrated ability to develop and implement departmental policies and procedures and ongoing operational changes to area job routines, programs and systems to ensure continuous quality improvement.
Strong organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, staff development with emphasis on team building
Strong problem-solving, decision-making and analytical skills
proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required
Experience using Microsoft Access would be preferred
Demonstrated ability to work well independently and as a team and have initiative to continuously improve processes.
Open until filled
Please submit your application via the Halton Healthcare website www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
Halton Healthcare is committed to providing accommodations [for people with disabilities]. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on all hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. We ask for everyone’s cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.
Have a question you would like to ask?
We are available to answer any questions you may have and encourage you to contact us through email or phone at your convenience.